Tuesday, January 30, 2007


It rained for about 30 of the 103 miles that I rode. I discovered that my road bike is not meant for riding in Mud. The pedals and shoe clips filled with mud and made it difficult to clip in and out. The derailers, sprockets and brakes didn't work well under those conditions. The last 10 miles were in the dark, pouring rain and a decent headwind. Before rain the average speed was in the high 16's. At the end of the ride the average was 14.5. Overall despite the difficult conditions it was a great ride. The scenery was incredible. One humbling embarrassing moment at the Santa Barbara pier when I my right foot was clipped in and I tipped over to the right and landed on my side. Hadn't done that since first getting the speedplays. Scraped the knee. With over 50 miles left to ride it had me a little worried but the pain disappeared after a couple of miles. At least the people near by were entertained. A long ride on the Wednesday is not in the cards since the bike needs some maintenance . Just as well since I'm a bit sore.

a break in the rain. on the 101. mile70

No comments: